One thing about Baton Rouge is that we take college football very seriously. From the food to the decorations to the attire, game days are no joke around here. We’ve compiled a list of dos and don’ts to make the most out of your college football experience and have a successful game day celebration in Baton Rouge!
DON’T: SPEND THE WHOLE DAY PREPARING FOOD
DO: PICK UP TAILGATE FOOD FROM LOCAL RESTAURANTS
On game day, it’s easy to get caught up in the lists of things to do and all the prepping required before heading to the tailgate. Enjoy your day by checking out the list of local restaurants below offering a wide array of delicious catering options. Don’t forget to put your order in ahead of time!
- Alexander’s Highland Market
- Anthony’s Italian Deli
- Bergeron’s City Market
- BRQ Seafood and Barbeque
- Calandro’s Supermarket – Government & Perkins
- Cannatella Grocery
- Chicken Shack
- Empire Wingz
- Gourmet Girls
- Hannah Q Smokehouse
- Iverstine Farms Butcher
- Matherne’s Market – LSU & Downtown
- Maxwell’s Market – Corporate, Highland & Perkins
- Raising Cane’s
- Rice & Roux
- Roly Poly
- Smalls Sliders
- Triplet's Blue Store
- Walk On’s Sports Bistreaux
DON’T: SHOW UP EMPTY HANDED.
DO: BRING SOMETHING TO ADD TO THE GAME DAY SPREAD.
While LSU and Southern fans are known for their hospitality – even to a rival team’s fans – it’s always nice to bring a little something the whole tailgate can enjoy. These local Baton Rouge spots are perfect for grabbing a snack or some drinks for the tailgate!
- Ambrosia Bakery – cakes and sweet treats
- Bites & Boards – charcuteries board fixings
- Calvin’s Bocage Market – Calvin’s Chicken Salad
- CounterspaceBR – cookies, cake balls and macarons
- Elsie's Plate & Pie – savory and sweet pies
- Martin Wine Cellar – Lobdell & Moss Side Lane – liquor and wine
- Ronnie’s Boudin & Cracklins – the name says it all – boudin and cracklins
- Superior Grill – Mid City & Highland – gallon of margaritas
- Tony's Seafood – tailgate platters
- Tin Roof Brewing Co. – local brews
DON’T: SLACK ON TEAM SPIRIT.
DO: DECK OUT THE TAILGATE IN TEAM COLORS.
Nothing shows school pride more than a decorated tailgate that you can spot from miles away! Stop by these local party stores in Baton Rouge to pick up balloons, games, decorations and even kitchenware in your team’s colors to add to deck out the tailgate!
DON’T: MISS A MINUTE OF THE ACTION.
DO: FIND SOMEWHERE TO WATCH THE GAME.
If you don’t have tickets to the game, we have you covered! The whole city rallies for its teams on game day, and there are a number of restaurants and bars where you can catch the game in Baton Rouge.
- 1717 at The Queen Baton Rouge
- Barstool Sportsbook
- Bengal Tap Room
- The Bulldog
- The Chimes Restaurant & Tap Room
- Ivar’s Sports Bar & Grill
- Mid City Beer Garden
- Mid Tap BR
- Rally Cap Brewing
- The Station Sports Bar and Grill
- TJ Ribs
- Uncle Earl’s
- Walk On’s Sports Bistreaux
- Willie's Restaurant & Bar
DON’T: GET CAUGHT IN GAME DAY TRAFFIC.
DO: TAKE ADVANTAGE OF TRANSPORTATION OPTIONS.
The last thing you want to be worried about on game day is not making it to the game on time! Lucky for you, Baton Rouge has various forms of transportation that’ll help you arrive at your tailgate destination in no time.
- Take the CATS bus
- Experience student life with the LSU bus system
- Rent Gotcha Bikes Powered by Bolt at various locations on campus
DON’T: WEAR THE WRONG PRINTS.
DO: SHOP LOCAL FOR GAME DAY ATTIRE.
It is an all-too-well-known sight to see mistaken animal prints and the wrong shades of gold, purple and blue. Keep the classic tiger and jaguar prints and school colors in check, and complete your game day outfit with earrings, a clear purse or a graphic tee. Check out these local Baton Rouge boutiques to put together the game day outfit of your dreams.
- Bella Bella
- Bengals & Bandits
- Blu Spero - Jefferson & Perkins Rowe
- Frock Candy
- Geaux Clear
- Hey, Penelope
- MOXI Boutique
- NK Boutique
- Rodéo Boutique
- Sweet Baton Rouge
- Southern University Sports FanShop
- Southern Jaguars Game Gear
- Vertage Clothing Co.
- Wanderlust by Abby
What would you add to this list of game day dos and don’ts? Let us know in the comments!