International Groups & FIT


Traveling to Baton Rouge from abroad? Well then, let us be the first to show you our Southern hospitality by welcoming you to the Capital City!

While you are here, feast like a local, immerse yourself in our rich, historic culture and dive into the city’s art scene! As the perfect blend between Cajun and Creole, Baton Rouge prides itself on being a welcoming host to all visitors.

Click here to connect with Visit Baton Rouge Leisure Sales Manager, Marie Stagg, CTP.


Know before you go! Below are some important tips and information you may find useful before your trip to Baton Rouge.




Baton Rouge Metropolitan Airport serves the Baton Rouge area of over 830,000 people, with flights provided by Delta, American and United to some of their largest hub airports conveniently connecting to destinations all over the world. Louis Armstrong International Airport, located 69 miles from Baton Rouge, also provides flights to 53 cities in the United States and 6 cities abroad. 


The legal drinking age in Baton Rouge is 21 years old, and we suggest bringing your ID to bars and restaurants if you plan on drinking alcohol, no matter how old you are. Public intoxication and disorderly conduct are not tolerated, nor is drinking and driving, driving while under the influence or carrying open containers of alcohol in your car.


Baton Rouge has a semi-tropical climate, perfect for outdoor activities. The weather is consistently warm from May to September and winter is usually mild and short-lived. Spring is glorious with cool nights and warm, sunny days. Precipitation is reasonably well-distributed and ample throughout the year with an average annual precipitation of 55 inches.


All embassies are located in Washington, DC. For consulates in Baton Rouge, click here. For consulates in New Orleans, click here


In the United States, vehicles are driven on the right side of the road. Speeds are measured in miles-per-hour and speed limits are displayed by signage along streets and roadways.

Age 16 is the legal driving age. Car rental companies require a minimum age, often 21 years old, with surcharges for drivers below age 25.

If driving a private vehicle, you are required to possess a valid driver's license and insurance. International drivers are not required to carry an international driving permit in the U.S., but must possess a photo ID along with their native driver's license.


For police, fire or ambulance, dial 911. This call is free.


Mobile phone and texting in Baton Rouge is good, but make sure to consider roaming and data-use charges, usage requirements and limitations. Free international calls are available through the Internet on your devices with Skype, Viber and Vonage. International calling cards are also an available option.


The United States uses 110 to 120 volts AC (60 cycles). You will need an American plug adaptor to charge your phone, tablet, laptop, camera and other electronics while in Baton Rouge. Plug adaptors are available online. 


In Baton Rouge and East Baton Rouge Parish, there is a sales tax rate of 9.95% added to most purchases. This tax provides funding for a number of governmental services.


Baton Rouge has joined almost 700 cities in the U.S. by going smoke-free. Establishments throughout Baton Rouge have restrictions on smoking and vaping indoors, such as bars, casinos, hotel rooms and even some outdoor areas. Learn more here


Baton Rouge is located in the Central Time Zone (CST), which is 6 hours earlier than Greenwich Mean Time. The clock moves ahead an hour here for daylight savings time (DST), which is in effect from 1 a.m. on the second Sunday in March until 1 a.m. on the first Sunday in November.


In the United States, it is customary to tip for certain services. Standard tipping includes 15%-20% for servers at restaurants, $1-$2 per bag for hotel bellmen and airport porters, $2 for parking valets, $1-$2 per drink for bartenders and 10% of the taxi or rideshare fare. Tips can be added to most credit card purchases at restaurants and bars, but most bellmen, porters and housekeeping can only be tipped in cash.


Buses, taxis, ridesharing services, pedicabs and other transportation options are available, as well as car and bike rentals. Learn more here


Visa requirements to travel to the USA are set by the federal government. To learn more about travel visas, click here.


For details and information on what you’re allowed to bring home, consult your home country’s customs services agency. In the U.S., direct questions to or call 877-227-5511.