In a historic city like Baton Rouge, some of the capital’s most notorious locations are known to have a haunting history. If you’re a fan of the supernatural, dare to visit some of Baton Rouge’s most haunted places.


LSU’s Campus

The home of the Fighting Tigers may also be home to a few spirits. LSU’s campus has been written about in many articles as one of the most haunted college campuses in the nation. Since the campus has been around since the mid 1800s, it’s not hard to believe that a few ghosts would still be roaming the facilities. Here are a few of the haunted locations on campus:


Pleasant Hall

Believe it or not, Math Lab isn’t the only scary thing going on in this building. Built in 1931, (not so) Pleasant Hall was formerly a women’s residential hall called  Smith Hall. In the 1970s, it was converted into a hotel where student workers were housed. It is a confirmed story that in the hotel an unnamed young woman got into an argument with her boyfriend and attempted to murder him with a shotgun. Though she was unsuccessful, she killed herself in her dorm, room 312. To this day, custodial staff and others have had similar experiences on the third floor of Pleasant Hall including extreme temperature drops, strange noises, and feelings of uneasiness. Some have even said they have heard the voice of a girl sounding as if she is in great pain.


Evangeline Hall

Built in 1930, Evangeline Hall is one of the oldest residence halls on LSU’s campus. Though it is not certain if there were any recorded deaths in the dorm, many students have reported seeing apparitions or simply feeling the presence of something that isn’t there. Resident advisors have heard disembodied laughter and voices when no one is around. The most noted ghosts are a male janitor who disappears into walls and two girls that seem to inhabit room 409. Some students have even gotten their dorm rooms blessed by priests as protection from the spirits, whether they believe they’re friendly or not.


Acadian Hall

Also built in the 1930s, Acadian Hall first served as a Spanish language-learning facility, the Pan American House. Though it was turned into a residence hall for students, many Latin American men worked as staff members in the hall. According to legend, Acadian Hall fell victim to a fire many years ago, and many of the Spanish staff members did not survive the tragedy. Students have reported seeing men in navy suits with dark hair walking the hallways, girls in white dresses peering out of windows, doors being violently flung open on their own, and furniture seems to shake by itself.


Myrtles Plantation

Only 26 miles north of Baton Rouge in St. Francisville is one of Louisiana’s most haunted locations and named one of America’s most haunted houses. The Myrtles Plantation was built in 1796 by a revolutionary war general named David Bradford and was inherited by his son-in-law Clarke Woodruff. Woodruff began a relationship with one his slave girls, a young woman named Chloe. Though she did not want the relationship, she kept seeing him for a few years out of fear of working outside with the other slaves. After being paranoid that Woodruff’s wife would find out of their affair, she began listening in on their conversations which resulted in her ear being chopped off after she was caught. She is known for wearing a green turban to cover her missing ear. For revenge, Chloe put poison in the wife and children’s food to only make them ill, but they died within days. Out of fear of association with the crime, the other slaves hung Chloe from a tree. In 1992, the current owner of the property has shared what seems to be film evidence of Chloe’s ghost roaming the property. She has even been seen in recent visitors’ photos. The plantation does day and night guided tours, as well as a mystery tour on Fridays and Saturdays. If you’re brave enough, stay a night in one of the rooms. Maybe General Bradford will arrange your shoes, as one visitor has reported.


The Old Capitol Building

The Old Capitol Building is one of the prettiest landmarks in Baton Rouge as it looks like a medieval castle. This landmark was built in 1847 when the Louisiana Legislature gave Baton Rouge the government power from New Orleans. It was also used as a prison during the Civil War and caught fire twice. Currently, the building serves as the Museum of Political History. There is only one ghost reported here, a girl named Sarah Morgan whose family donated the land the Old Capitol stands on. The Old Capitol building even has a 4D presentation for visitors called “The Ghost of the Castle” about the story of Sarah and the castle’s many trials throughout history. Though she may seem like a character for tourists, visitors have reported hearing footsteps down empty hallways and seeing doors open and close on their own.


Spanish Moon

A local favorite, Spanish Moon has been entertaining downtown Baton Rouge with live music, billiard games, and great drinks. But before it became a popular bar, Spanish Moon has had various uses since its construction in 1910. Here a few past uses of the current bar: a grain mill, a feed store, a clothing store, a temporary jail, and a firehouse. The most notable use (and most likely the explanation for the hauntings) is that it served as a morgue in 1927 due to the Great Flood of Mississippi when around 250 local residents died. A few of the bar’s managers have mentioned that a dresser had to be thrown out of The Green Room, where artists hang out before their performance, due to the negative energy seeping from it, scaring the artists. Bar patrons have reported pool balls rolling off of tables by themselves, glasses moving and clanking on their own, and something tapping their shoulders when no one was there. Allegedly, some bartenders refuse to close up the bar alone at night out of fear of what they’ll encounter.


Highland Road near Lee Drive

For all of you history buffs out there, you may recall a little event called The Battle of Baton Rouge in 1862 during the Civil War. The Union stopped Confederate soldiers from recapturing Louisiana, resulting in a bloody battle. Around late September to early October, locals have reported seeing men in Confederate soldier uniforms walking across Highland Road near Lee Drive near LSU’s campus. Not long ago, someone called the police to report they saw a bloody, filthy man in a uniform staggering across the street...and the police found no one.