Built in 1853, the church was designated the cathedral church of the Diocese of Baton Rouge by Pope John XXIII in the bull of erection "Peramplum Novae Aureliae" dated July 22, 1961; the erection of the diocese took place on November 8, 1961, with Most Rev. Robert Emmet Tracy as is first bishop. The church building underwent a significant interior renovation in 1967 and was re-dedicated on September 30, 1970.. The Cathedral's interior has been renovated in a style which is modern, inspirational and magnificent. Its exterior remains unchanged. St. Joseph, Catholic Church is in Downtown Baton Rouge, the Mother Church of the Diocese of Baton Rouge.
It it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on March 22, 1990. St. Joseph Parish Founded as the Parroquia de Nuestra Señora de los Dolores in 1792,
Area: less than one acre
Architect: Father John Cambiaso
Architectural Style: Gothic Revival,