A.W. Mumford Stadium is a 28,500 seat multi-purpose stadium on the campus of Southern University in Baton Rouge, LA. It opened in 1928 and is home to the Jaguars football team as well as the Southern men's and women's track and field teams.
The stadium is named after coach Arnett W. "Ace" Mumford who holds the record for most wins in SU football history, who coached the Jaguars from 1936–42 and 1944–61.
Almost 8 decades later, Mumford stadium has seen many changes. In 1938, SU built a grandstand on the west side that included dormitories. In the 1960's the dormitories were converted into team meeting spaces and locker rooms. Another expansion for more seats and better lighting started in 1977 and forced the Jaguars off campus to use nearby Memorial Stadium for home games. The project was completed in 1982 and University Stadium was then renamed to A. W. Mumford Stadium.
A $6.75 million renovation begun on A. W. Mumford Stadium's west side in 2000. With a double-decked press box that included two elevators, seven suites, additional restrooms, working press area, radio booths, coaching booths and camera decks.
In 2009 the north end zone addition known as the A.W. "Ace" Fieldhouse was completed adding an additional 2,300 seats along with an administrative offices, athletic training room, weight room, conference and meeting rooms, coaching offices, end zone suites, Track and field locker rooms, equipment room, laundry room, storage space and football locker room that allowed the Jaguars to move from the F.G. Clark Activity Center.
In 2016 UBU Sports synthetic field turf was installed. Southern students and the Human Jukebox sit on the west side of the stadium.