Located in the heart of downtown Baton Rouge, First United Methodist Church of Baton Rouge is a community of faith, helping each other grow in our love of God, ourselves and others. We are a community of people helping each other grow in love of God, ourselves and others and we’re passionate about inviting your family to be a part of ours.
First United Methodist Church of Baton Rouge was incorporated by legislative act on January 25, 1834. From an initial membership of about fifty in 1835, the church grew exponentially over the ensuing decades, aided in large part by the commitment and industry of its dedicated pastors. Christianity, quite literally, flowed into Louisiana. Catholic missionaries who bore the sacred symbol of the cross of Jesus first entered this land aboard vessels plying the Mississippi River. In time, more and more missionaries descended the Mississippi, among them the “people called Methodists.” Shaped by a Wesleyan vision and powered by an evangelical fervor, ministers such as Learner Blackman, Tobias Gibson, and Elisha W. Bowman would carry the cross throughout what is now southern Louisiana, including one settlement destined to grow into a great city on the river – Baton Rouge. And it was from those who gathered around that first cross planted by Methodists in Baton Rouge that one of the city’s great churches, First United Methodist Church, also would grow.