Owned by the City of Baker, the Heritage Museum was established in 1974 in a restored local residence. The Museum collects, preserves, documents, and exhibits information and artifacts relating to the history and heritage of Baker, and offers programming and activities to support its exhibits. The Museum is governed by the City of Baker.
Of the approximately eight buildings left from the first decade of this century, the Cushman House is locally significant in its architecture. It is a visual landmark of only a handful of historic buildings left of the heritage in the community of Baker with in East Baton Rouge Parish. It is the only residence with high style features and the only set of fluted Ionic columns in the city.
The home was built in 1906 for Dr. Willard S. Cushman, who was the only doctor in northern East Baton Rouge Parish. In 1917 Cushman was elected parish coroner and moved to Baton Rouge. At that time he sold the house to Miss Carrie Slaughter, who lived there until her death in 1960. The Baker Shriners and a local construction. company owned the property between 1960 and 1974, when it was purchased by the city. The city restored the house in 1975 with Bill Brockway serving as project architect.