School is out, and summer is here in the Capital City! If you’re looking for some kid-approved activities to add to your itinerary, Baton Rouge has you covered. There are so many opportunities for exploration, learning, entertainment and, most importantly, fun! Every summer has its own story—Explore Baton Rouge and create your own.
Even though there is no school, there are still plenty of opportunities to learn something new. These museums, summer reading programs, and classes will keep young minds active and entertained.
- Knock Knock Children’s Museum, the Louisiana Art & Science Museum, the LSU Rural Life Museum, and the Old State Capitol all offer interactive learning opportunities.
- Pro tip: take advantage of free admission at multiple museums in the area on the first Sunday of every month.
- For book lovers of all ages, the East Baton Rouge Parish and West Baton Rouge Parish libraries offer summer reading programs, guest speaker presentations, and reading events all summer long.
- Looking for hands-on learning? Check out the regular rotation of cooking and art classes available with Young Chefs Academy, Mid-City Artisans, and Red Stick Spice Company.
Make time to enjoy the warm weather and spend the day visiting a water park, renting kayaks or going fishing in the Capital City.
- Have a splashing good time at Blue Bayou or Liberty Lagoon water parks.
- From fishing to canoe and kayak rentals, BREC parks offer endless opportunities for outdoor fun. Spend your day exploring and once the sun sets, settle in for a Movie in the Park or take a visit to the stars at Highland Road Park Observatory.
- Need more ways to explore nature? There are several hiking trails around town, including University Lake Loop Hiking Trail, Dawson Creek Greenway and Levee Bike Path.
Learn about Louisiana’s native plants and meet animals from all over the world at these must-visit attractions.
After all of that learning and exploring around the Capital City, you’ll want to refuel and stay cool with the help of Baton Rouge’s many eateries and farmers markets.
- Baton Rouge’s warm summer weather means you have the perfect excuse to find a snoball or frozen treat to help beat the heat!
- Take a trip to one of our farmers markets to gather supplies for your perfect picnic.
Looking for more inspiration? Just in time for summer, we’re introducing the Red Stick Family Pass! Use this tool to plan your Capital City vacation, earn prizes, and redeem discounts and deals at different locations all around the city! There’s something for everyone in Baton Rouge, so check out our full list of family-friendly attractions, and don’t forget to share your favorite activities with us when you #ExploreBatonRouge!
Download our Baton Rouge Summer BINGO and see how many activities you can check off your list!