School is out, and summer is here in the Capital City! If you’re looking for some kid-approved activities to add to your itinerary, Baton Rouge has you covered. There are so many opportunities for exploration, learning, entertainment and, most importantly, fun! Every summer has its own story — explore Baton Rouge and create your own.
- Museums in Baton Rouge – Not only do museums in Baton Rouge offer incredible educational opportunities for the kiddos, but they’re also the perfect place to keep cool this summer!
- Reading & Library Events – East Baton Rouge Parish Libraries offer summer reading programs, guest speaker presentations and reading events all summer long, perfect for even the smallest bookworms in your life!
- Summer Camps – Looking for hands-on learning? Manship Theatre is offering summer camp options for all ages on different forms of visual and performance art, and places such as Young Chefs Academy, Mid-City Artisans and Red Stick Spice Company have a lineup of events for kids this summer.
Make time to beat the heat by visiting a water park, renting kayaks or paddleboards or going fishing in Baton Rouge.
- Splash around at Blue Bayou or Liberty Lagoon.
- BREC parks offer endless opportunities for outdoor fun. Start the day with exploring, fishing, canoeing or kayaking and end the day stargazing at Highland Road Park Observatory.
- Looking for more ways to explore nature? There are several hiking trails around the city, including University Lake Loop, Blackwater Conservation Area and Frenchtown Conservation Area.
Learn about Louisiana’s native plants and meet animals from all over the world at these must-visit attractions!
- Blue Zoo Baton Rouge
- BREC’s Baton Rouge Zoo
- BREC’s Bluebonnet Swamp Nature Center
- LSU's Hilltop Arboretum
Let’s be honest – the best part of summer is the treats that come along with it! From snoballs and ice cream to the seasonal fruit and veggies at the farmers markets, there are all sorts of summer goodness waiting for you in Baton Rouge.
- Ice cream and other sweet treats
- Snoballs in Baton Rouge – we did all the work and rounded up the best so you don’t have to!
- Farmers markets – with multiple markets a week, you definitely won’t miss out on the farm freshness of berries, veggies and other produce grown within driving distance of Baton Rouge.
Looking for more inspiration? We have passes that include many of the stops mentioned above, and you can check in for points to win a prize! There’s something for everyone in Baton Rouge, for every member of the family. Don’t forget to share your favorite activities with us when you #ExploreBatonRouge!