- From the Blue Planet to the Red Planet […]
- Dinosaurs at Dusk […]
- The Great Planet Adventures […]
The Myrtles Plantation is a 213 year old National Register home built by General David Bradford, also known as "Whiskey Dave." The plantation, circa 1796, invites you to step into the past and experience antebellum splendor. You will see fine antiques, architectural treasures of the South and discover why The Myrtles Plantation has been called one of "America's Most Haunted Homes." The plantation offers guided history and mystery tours daily and features a full service restaurant with casual or elegant dining options.
Visitors will enjoy viewing the hand-painted stained glass, open pierced plaster frieze work, Aubusson tapestries, Baccarat crystal chandeliers, Carrera marble mantles and gold leafed French furnishings. Guided tours include the history, architectural significance and enchanting stories of mystery and intrigue.
Relax in the giant rockers on the 120-foot verandah or stroll through the lush ten acres filled with majestic live oaks. The 5,000 square foot old brick courtyard is the perfect place to unwind before enjoying a delicious candlelight dinner at The Carriage House Restaurant, located on the Plantation grounds.
The Myrtles Plantation operates year-round as a full service Bed & Breakfast. Below you will find a brief description of each room. All rooms include a continental breakfast and a historical tour of the home. For rates and information visit the Myrtles Plantation online.
The Myrtles has one over night guest room on the 1st floor of the home: The General David Bradford Suite has one large bedroom with a four-poster full size bed and a private sitting room. Two verandahs adjoin the suite. This room has a private bath with a shower.
The guest room located upstairs in Main House is the The Judge Clarke Woodruff Suite. This the only room with access to the foyer and main staircase at the close of the day. It has a large bedroom with a sitting area and a four-poster queen size bed. This room has a private bath with a tub.
The Fannie Williams Room has a full size bed, private bath with a shower that is located in the hallway just a few steps away from the room.
The Ruffin-Stirling Room has a large four-poster queen size bed, private bath with a shower also located a few steps away from the room, in the hallway.
The William Winters Room has a four-poster queen size bed and private bath with a tub in the room.
The John W. Leake Room has a four-poster full size bed and a private bath with a shower in the room.
The Caretaker's Cottage is a rustic cottage with a queen size bed, a set of bunk beds and private bath with a shower. It has a fenced yard, a front porch and is located behind The
General Bradford House.
The Azalea, Camellia, Magnolia, and Oleander Garden Rooms each has a queen size bed and a private bath with an antique claw foot tub.
The Carriage House Restaurant at The Myrtles Plantation is a family owned restaurant located in the Historic town of St. Francisville that offers a "Taste of Southern Cuisine and Hospitality".
Monday thru Saturday from 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
Monday thru Saturday from 5 a.m.-9 p.m.
11 a.m.-2 p.m.
Visitors will experience an ideal setting and a staff waiting to fulfill their every need. The Myrtles Plantation strives to create the ambiance and perfect atmosphere as you indulge in our original recipes from our team of chefs, cooks and salad specialist. The chefs cook down home southern favorites, plantation recipes from the olden days and offer numerous daily specials for the seasons!
Historic Tours Daily: 9 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Every hour and half hour.
Mystery Tours: Friday & Saturday Evenings at 6, 7 & 8 p.m.
The Myrtles Plantation was built in 1794 by General David Bradford and was called Laurel Grove at the time. General Bradford lived there alone for several years, until being pardoned for his role in the Whiskey Rebellion in 1799. He then moved his wife Elizabeth and their five children to the plantation from Pennsylvania. One of Bradford's law students, Clark Woodruff married Bradford's daughter, Sara Mathilda, in 1817. After the death of David Bradford in 1808, Clark and Sara Woodruff managed the plantation for Elizabeth Bradford. They had three children: Cornelia Gale, James and Mary Octavia.
In July 1823, Sara Woodruff died from yellow fever. Clark Woodruff continued to manage the plantation with his mother-in-law. In July 1824, James died of yellow fever as well, and his sister Cornelia Gale succumbed to the disease in August of that year.
When Elizabeth Bradford died in 1830, Clark Woodruff and his daughter Mary Octavia moved to Covington, Louisiana, and left a caretaker to manage the plantation. In 1834, Woodruff sold the plantation, the land and its slaves to Ruffin Gray Stirling. Woodruff died in New Orleans in 1851.
Stirling and his wife, Mary Catherine Cobb, undertook an extensive remodeling of the house. When completed, the new house was nearly double the size of the former building, and its name was changed to The Myrtles. They imported fancy furniture from Europe. The Stirlings had nine children, but five of them died young. Stirling died in 1854 and left the plantation to his wife.
In 1865, Mary Cobb hired William Drew Winter to help manage the plantation as her lawyer and agent. Winter was married to Mary Cobb's daughter, Sarah Stirling. Sarah and William Winter lived at the Myrtles and had six children, one of whom (Kate Winter) died from typhoid at the age of three. Although the Winters were forced to sell the plantation in 1868, they were able to buy it back two years later.
In 1871, William Winter was shot by an unknown man on the porch of the house and died. Sarah remained at the Myrtles with her mother and siblings until 1878, when she died. Mary Cobb died in 1880, and the plantation passed to Stephen, one of her sons. The plantation was heavily in debt, however, and Stephen sold it in 1886 to Oran D. Brooks. Brooks sold it in 1889, and the house changed hands several times until 1891, when it was purchased by Harrison Milton Williams.
Over the next several decades, the land was split up and owned by various Williams heirs. In the 1950s, Marjorie Munson owned the house. Munson apparently noticed odd things happening around the house and began to question neighbors about its history. This is possibly the beginning of some of the legends surrounding the Myrtles. The plantation ownership changed several more times and was restored in the 1970s by owners Arlin Dease and Mr. & Mrs. Robert Ward. At James and Frances Myers bought the house. The Myers' believed the house was haunted, and books and magazines began to feature it in content about haunted houses. Frances Myers, publishing as Francis Kermeen, has written a book about the Myrtles and its supposed haunting. The house, now owned by John & Teeta Moss, is now a bed & breakfast. Historical and mystery tours are also offered. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Visit the Myrtles Plantation for more information on the historic daily tours and mystery tours.